Tuesday 3 January 2017

My Interview with Author Anne Barwell







  1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

    I’ve been making up stories for as long as I can remember, but it was only after I discovered the internet and online fanfiction in 2000 that I started writing again regularly.  I then wrote an original novel and a publisher wanted to publish it, and I’ve been writing ever since.

  2. Where do you get your ideas for your book?

    All sorts of places. I usually start with characters first and then go from there.  Sometimes they turn up complete with story, while sometimes their story grows a bit later. I’m usually percolating ideas for future stories while writing my current one.

  3. What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

    I work in a library so a lot of my life revolves around books.  When I’m not writing I’m reading, I’m watching TV and movies. I also belong to a SF club, and enjoy the regular discussion meetings and film evenings.

    I also play violin in a local orchestra, and played piano for church for many years.  I knit when I manage to watch TV without a cat on my lap. My family is important to me too – I have three children, and four grandchildren and another on the way. I also try to keep some balance in my life, some of which is meeting up with friends regularly.  Armageddon—the local pulp culture—is an annual event I look forward to. 

    Oh and my two cats own me and they know it.

  4. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

    I have 9 published books, with two more coming out next year. I’m also waiting to hear back about another.

    I’m not sure I could pick a favourite as it’s like choosing a favourite child, but I have a soft spot for Shadowboxing, the first in my WWII Echoes Rising series.  Although not my first published book, it was the first story I wrote that I knew was going to be a novel.  The final book in that series is coming out in 2017 and I’m going to miss those guys.  I’ve been writing the series on and off for almost ten years so they’ve been a big part of my life for a long time.

  5. Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

    Keep writing, even if it’s a little every day. Those words soon mount up.  Also, don’t compare your writing and style with others. Everyone has a unique voice and every story has readers who will love it.

  6. What do you think makes a great story?

    One that touches the reader in some way, and stays with them afterwards. For me, it’s usually the characters who do that and make or break a story, either reading or writing.

  7. Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

    I’ve been reading for as long as I remember so that list is a long one, but two authors who got me on the writing track were Susan Cooper who wrote The Dark is Rising series, and Diana Gabaldon, the writer of Outlander.

  8. What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

    I have a couple of WIPs. The Right Note is a contemporary MM romance set in New Zealand for Dreamspinner Press’s Dreamspun Desires series. I’m also co-writing The Harp and the Sea with Lou Sylvre, which is set on Skye in 1745 and is a romance with lots of action and drama and a touch of magic.

  9. What genre are your books?

    I write MM romance, but several genres under that umbrella.  I’ve written contemporary romance, historical (WWI, WWII, and 18th C Scottish), high fantasy (with dragons!), urban fantasy, and SF/time travel. 

  10. What drew you to the genre you write?

    The answer is fairly similar for all the genres I write. I love exploring what ifs and throwing characters into situations and seeing what they’ll do.  I think that type of thing brings out the best and worst in people so it keeps things interesting. And then sometimes I just want a feel good story, and a change of pace so I write contemporary romance.

  11. Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

    As I’m writing the 2nd and final book of my Dragons of Astria series later this year…  Justin Hartley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1261997/?ref_=nv_sr_2) as Aric, who is crown prince of Astria and in love with Denys, who carries a secret few know about. I’d love to see Niall Matter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2473076/?ref_=tt_cl_t8) portray Denys.

  12. Do you write full-time or part-time?

    Part-time, as I work full-time in a public library.  Often though, it feels as though I’m holding down two full-time jobs.

  13. What is the hardest thing about writing?

    Finding the time to write everything I want to, while still keeping some balance in my life, and making sure I have down time.

  14. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

    Don’t argue with your characters—they usually know what they’re doing even if they won’t share the reasoning behind whatever stunt they’re trying to pull until much later.

  15. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

    I’m always reading. Working in a library is the den of temptation plus I also review MM for ‘Our Story’ and ‘Top2BottomReviews’.

    I’ll read anything that looks interesting but I lean toward fantasy/sf and historical fiction, plus I’m a big graphic novel fan.  I also listen to a lot of Big Finish Audios—Dr Who and others.

  16. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

    Thanks for hosting and organising all of this. I also host authors on my blog so am always happy to fit people in if I can.

    I live in New Zealand and often my stories have a Kiwi Connection plus a character or two who is a musician.

  17. How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

    I have a blog and a website and author pages at Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications. Check out the links below:










Dreamspinner Press Author Page:


DSP Publications Author Page:








Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊







No comments:

Post a Comment